CBC program Cross Country Checkup had a program about
Sunday, June 16, 2013 |(1 hr and 54 min.)
Is Big Brother watching? News that the US government has been logging the phone and Internet usage of Americans surprised many. Now it seems it might involve Canadians too.
With businesses tracking your every click online, and governments interested in who you contact …do you feel data mining is going too far?
With guest host Harry Forestell
Before you listen to the program I’d like to add my 2 cents worth.
I remind you that this is not just an issue of surveillance of internet use but of all phone messages and surveillance cameras as well.
It is interesting that the Patriot Act of United States and the National Security Programs are responsible for the surveillance of the public. These are names meant to evoke confidence when they at the same time, by their own admission take some of the public’s’ freedoms to provide “so-called” security.
If you are not concerned about the Harper Government’s secrecy ie. secret agreements with Chinese officials over trade, Robocalls, found in contempt of Parliament for not disclosing information even when ordered by the Conservative Speaker to release the information, surveillance without informing Canadians and without the oversight of a Judge and a Warrant, then I’m not sure you understand what is going on in your own country. Option 2 is that you do not understand what freedom and democracy are all about.
You must understand that both freedom and rights are not guaranteed, that they are only as secure as the goodness of your present leader and are in constant flux. We may say that we are willing to give up some of our freedoms for security today, but down the road as leaders feel more emboldened to take more freedom and as our freedoms get ever chipped away (we passively hand over our freedoms), what freedoms of our grandchildren are we willing to give away for a little security to ourselves today. Stroke the hair of your child and/or your grandchild and explain why it is okay to hand their freedoms over to an uncertain future leader, so you can sleep better tonight.
A few quotes are in order:
Lord Acton, “Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely”.
Thomas Jefferson quotes,
1. “If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.”
2. “All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.”
3. “When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty”. I do not trust the controlling and secretive Harper and his sheep Government in any way, shape of form”.
To Harper’s secrecy, Jefferson says,
4. “Information is the currency of democracy.”
And if you were at all uncertain that I love the writings of Thomas Jefferson,
5. “Experience has shown, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.”
6. “Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty.”
I will leave the final word of freedom vs. security to another Founding Father hero of mine, Benjamin Franklin, who said, ”
Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”